Wednesday, September 13, 2006

CD Review: Continuum


Let me start by saying that I was worried about this album. John Mayer has set the bar so high for himself that I thought this, his third studio album would be a huge disappointment. Every reviewer has pegged this as his "most soulful" album yet, which I didn't understand until I listened to the whole thing straight through. He deals with the usual issues of love, past and present (I'm Gonna Find Another You, Slow Dancing In A Burning Room), growth and change (In Repair, Dreaming With A Broken Heart), and his everpresent problem of growing older (Stop This Train). He includes Gravity and Vultures off of his live Trio album and a Hendrix cover Bold As Love. I was worried I would miss the "Pop" side of Mayer's songs but I don't. The depth is just where you would expect from a guy who has played with the likes of Clapton, BB King, Scoffield and Buddy Guy. The songs are all introspective and his personal thoughts are human enough to make us remember that he's just a guy named John.

4 comments:

Reegz said...

I like his long locks......his music IS pretty sweet. I can't watch him jam though, he makes really weird contorted faces.

Matt said...

I could watch him jam all day....does that mean I have a man crush?

Anonymous said...

I think he's also training as a cage fighter. I'm changing my profile.

Reegz said...

No, that just means you think he's friggin awesome!