Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Big Cheese

My boss retired at the end of November which has left us with out a head for the last 2 weeks and with the way the health service works here it looked like that would be a position that wouldn't be filled for several months. I was told to try and keep things under control but avoid "acting up" in order to keep the pressure on the hospital and government health executive to fill the post. Yesterday I was presented with a letter from the HR department asking me to fill the position of Acting Chief of Perfusion until the post can be filled. I accepted. I have found out that the surgeons asked that I be offered the position in order to, A: maintain a working chain of command and B: strengthen my application for the permanent post when it is advertised.

Needless to say I am quite flattered by their confidence in me considering my relative inexperience (those going for the post will have at least 10yrs more experience). I am quite eager to inflict as much of my "American" mentality on the place as I can (i.e. more efficiency and less bureaucratic oversight). Unfortunately the "upgrade" comes in title only as the government will not allow "upgrades" to include pay increases. Hopefully I can convince the powers that be that I can run the department on a long term basis which will then lead to significant financial incentives. It is definitely an uphill battle as the status quo is difficult to change but at the very least I'll have a nice addition to my CV.

3 comments:

Nomosian said...

you should require your subordinates to call you Supreme Master!

Matt said...

I went with Supreme Commander...Sir!

Sando said...

hahaha after all I've heard... you're now filling in her position! haha. awesome.